Where the air is sweet

Where the air is sweet

Friday, June 15, 2012

New York

Early in May, our family spontaneously drove up to New York. Most of my extended family lives there. This time we were just visiting Poughkeepsie where my dad's family lives. We went to see my dad who was staying with my Grandma. He normally lives in Thailand (don't ask- long story that has to do with easier access to medical care and such- he has MS), but had been staying with my Gram for the past year. I drove up last April/May to see him because he had come back into the country, and I was under the impression he would only be here for a few days/weeks. He just left a little over a week ago. My Gram called me and told me that he would probably be leaving soon and that his condition is very bad so this would probably my last chance to see him. My wonderful husband took off work and we were on the road a few days later.

The weather when we go in Spring is amazing. We also love to play in the grass. We don't get to do that here thanks to those lovely little fire ants. Plus- grass up north is so soft... our grass is prickly, right? Not fair.


We made wilderness stew and Adelaide really did try to eat most of everything.

Elizabeth had a great time. We also got to seem Aunt and her family that live in California. They came back to NY for the first time in seven years. The last time I saw them was 9 years ago. I really like hanging out with them and my Elizabeth loves their daughter, Taylor. She is my cousin and I've only met her twice- it's sad. She is the sweetest 9 year old ever.



Seeing my dad is bittersweet. His mind isn't the same and we don't really have a relationship anymore. We can joke back and forth a little and talk about old times some. He has very bad short term memory and can't remember my girls' names. He loves them though and that's what's important. One night, after the girls had gone to bed, I went downstairs into my dad's room and watched Law and Order: SVU with him. It was simple but it is a memory I am glad we made. He told me he liked the female cop, I agreed. We talked about how everyone seems to love SVU the best which is kind of creepy because of what it's about. Then The Break Up came on and he told me that he liked Vince Vaughn and I again agreed. Then Adelaide woke up so I had to go upstairs. Part of me felt bad because we didn't talk of anything important. But another part of me knows the simple times are good, too. If you can spare a prayer, please pray for his conversion. He doesn't have much faith as far as I know, and I think he could use some.

No comments:

Post a Comment