Where the air is sweet

Where the air is sweet

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cheese and noodles

We had food antigen testing done on our family (minus Adelaide). I would like to take this opportunity to mention how brave my Elizabeth is. She saw Daddy get his blood drawn and she wanted it done, too. (This was good because it saved me from deciding if we should test her or not.) She sat so still and didn't even flinch. I was very good with needles as a child as well, and I am very proud. Nowadays, however, it often takes some digging to get into my veins so I am not as brave as I once was.
So the results are in... and we are allergic to everything. We have no obvious allergy symptoms but we wanted to get tested to see if we had any delayed allergies that we didn't notice reactions too. Elizabeth also had a small rash around her mouth that could be from a food allergy. Now that the results are here, I feel like we bit off more than we could chew. (Get it?) I was sure that I would be allergic to cow's milk as I love cheese like nobody's business. I was so relieved that I wasn't only to find out that the one person who may love cheese more than I do is allergic. Elizabeth. 
She had me save this the other day because she was full. This is a salad plate, mind you, not a big plate, but the girl didn't want me to get rid of those few mac and cheese noodles. 
Elizabeth and her daddy are both allergic to cow's milk and gluten. This is going to be fun. We are all allergic to beef and gelatin. Some of us are allergic to celery, apples, cherries, bananas, eggs... the list goes on. We are now very overwhelmed trying to figure out what we can eat. The goal this weekend is to plan meals for the next few weeks and shop. I checked out books from the library on gluten free eating and a vegan cookbook to get ideas on how to make veggies taste better without using cheese. 
Hopefully, this will be a blessing in disguise and teach us to eat healthier by eating more fresh produce. It will also force us to eat at home almost all of the time, and we can finally kick our habit of eating out. Here is hoping and praying it all goes well.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! I can not imagine. So how does that work that you can be allergic to something and not know for so long? Is it like more of a sensitivity or is it something that could flare up unpredictably? I'm just being curious.. I suppose I should call you :-) Either way, hope the cooking/eating is going well for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I answered this in real life... but it will bug me to leave it unanswered here... We had a food antigen test done that measures delayed reactions to food. From what I can understand, these foods cause inflammation in our bodies that could do damage slowly (over years) or make us not feel well days later.

    ReplyDelete